Families in the past had to suffer through hot and humid summers, but air conditioning has become a standard in indoor spaces and any without seeming ten times more unbearable in comparison. While maintaining a cooler temperature during the summer months is overwhelmingly beneficial for your health, there are a few risks that result from an under-serviced unit. These risks can be easily mitigated by contacting your AC company as soon as possible.
Let's get past the few potential risks of your air conditioning system first. Keep in mind that these risks vary greatly from person to person and primarily affect those with pre-existing conditions like allergies or asthma.
- Sick Building Syndrome. First emerging in the 70s and 80s, sick building syndrome was a phenomenon in which people, usually office workers, reported a variety of seemingly unrelated symptoms. These often included breathing problems, headaches, fatigue, irritated skin, and nasal congestion. Research into the sickness found AC systems that may have had harmful microorganisms growing inside due to pooled moisture and condensation created by the system. About 42% of homeowners call an air conditioning company to perform routine maintenance on their system. To properly protect against bacteria and fungi, every building with an AC system should regularly schedule maintenance with their AC company.
- Irritation To Skin, Eyes, And Nose. While an AC unit keeps the air cool, your body may react poorly to these regulated temperatures. Similar to the effects of heating units, some people experience the following:
- Drying of their skin and mucous membranes.
- For people who wear contact lenses, drying out of their eyes and lens discomfort.
- Exacerbated symptoms for those with preexisting eye conditions, like conjunctivitis and blepharitis.
If you are experiencing any of these irritations but don't want to lose the comfort of your cool air, contact one of many AC companies to check for bacteria in the system. If your system is clear, you may want to talk to your doctor about drops or medicines you can take to alleviate these symptoms.
On the whole, air conditioning systems have bettered the quality of life of users and it's recommended for many people to call the best AC companies to have a system installed as soon as they can.
- Prevention of Heat-Related Deaths And Illnesses. The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention say that the use of a well-maintained air conditioner is the best way to prevent heat-related deaths and illnesses. This may be a larger cause of death than you imagine, as an EPA study found that more than 9,000 Americans died from the heat between 1979 and 2013. That number does not include deaths in which heat was a contributing factor, but only the main cause. For those who live in areas with intense heat waves or are more susceptible to heat stroke, a proper AC system can be a lifesaver.
- Better Air Quality. As long as your unit is well maintained and not in need of AC repair, you will be breathing cleaner air. AC systems remove pollutants and mold by circulating and filtering the air. When working properly, this can actually help those with asthma or allergies as it minimizes irritants that cause attacks. With an AC system, you also keep your windows closed rather than open, lessening the number of air pollutants let inside as well as the amount of potentially dangerous insects.
With an efficient and clean air conditioning system, you'll see your health improving with your increased comfort. Contact your AC company today to install a unit or schedule its needed maintenance.